Is Your Home Ready For Home Care?
Getting Your Home Ready for Home Care
After researching all of your senior care living options, you have decided that home care is the best option for your loved one. Now the next matter to address is preparing the residence for home care. Most people are aware of the basics such as secure railings on steps and in the shower, sturdy stairs, secure locks, and more. However, there are many more steps you can take to ensure that your home is ready for home care services.
Tips for Ensuring Your Home is Safe for Home Care
- Ensure that your indoor and outdoor steps are illuminated, clutter-free, and have a sturdy railing.
- Make sure that windows and doors are easily accessible and can be easily opened, closed, and locked.
- Keep walking paths around the home free of clutter. This includes storing items away and making sure that any cords and cables are put away or taped down.
- Be sure that the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are tested monthly to make sure they are working properly.
- Make sure that fire extinguishers are accessible and check the gauge monthly to verify the fire extinguisher is still full.
- In the bathroom, consider installing grab bars, secured shower chairs, or non-slip bathmats to prevent slips.
- Install a safety frame, grab bar, or raised seat for the toilet.
- Put adhesive underneath rugs in the home to keep them in place.
- Make sure that phones in the home are easily accessible and have updated speed dial numbers.
- Make sure that all medications are properly labeled.
- Make sure the emergency routes and escape plans have been mapped and discussed.
All Homes are Not Equal
Remember that there are many things in the home that may prove to be hazardous for seniors. Taking proper safety measures can make the difference between whether your senior get to age in their home, or need to be moved to a senior care community .
Don't forget to talk to your senior to determine what their pain points are. By including your senior in your home safety discussion, it will enable you to address any issues or concerns that you may not have thought of.